IWA Online Academy
Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year, Incarnate Word Academy will offer IWA Online Academy for families of students who wish to complete their courses online and at home while enjoying the opportunity to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities on campus.
To ensure that both online and on-campus faculty can adequately prepare for the upcoming school year, selection for the IWA Online Academy is due by May 1, 2021 (or sooner if capacity is reached in a student's corresponding on-campus class).
- How does IWA Online Academy work?
- What does IWA Online Academy offer students?
- Can my student switch from Online to In-Person or vice-versa?
- What grade levels are eligible for the IWA Online Academy
- Will the Montessori Method be offered?
- Will my High School Level student be eligible for class rankings?
How does IWA Online Academy work?
- All classes are held online and are based on curriculum developed to maximize online learning while maintaining academic rigor
- All learning is asynchronous so students learn on their own schedule
- Students will have dedicated online instructors from Catholic Virtual for each course. Subject matter questions, and questions about assignments, will be directed to their online instructors
- A dedicated IWA teacher will serve as the IWA Online Academy facilitator to monitor student progress, foster collaboration and engagement, and help with time management, organization, and study skills
- Online support includes tech support, counseling and tutoring services, and learning platform and systems training
What does IWA Online Academy offer students?
- Ability to learn at their own pace
- Participation in IWA extracurricular activities (clubs), dances, Masses, and other special events
- Participation in athletics with varsity eligibility determined by TAPPS
- High-quality, vigorous curriculum matched with courses offered at Incarnate Word Academy to maintain academic excellence
- Graduation with a diploma from Incarnate Word Academy
Can my student switch from Online to In-Person or vice-versa?
- Students will not be able to change from online to in-person (or vice-versa) until the conclusion of a semester and based on availability on campus. Students may not switch to/from the IWA Online Academy in the middle of a semester
- If an on-campus grade level or classroom is full, it may not be possible to switch from the Online Academy to In-person learning until the following school year
- Students who are enrolled in the IWA Online Academy for the Fall Semester will automatically be re-enrolled in the IWA Online Academy on December 15th for the following Spring Semester unless the school level administrator is contacted
Will the Montessori Method be offered?
- Montessori instruction will not be offered through the IWA Online Academy. All Elementary Level students who participate in the Online Academy will be enrolled in the Traditional program
- Students wishing to transition from the IWA Online Academy to on campus Montessori instruction, will need consultation/approval from the elementary level administrator no later than December 15, 2021 (please note that changes are subject to classroom availability)
- IWA does not rank students beyond the senior class top ten (and only Valedictorian and Salutatorian are made aware of their actual ranking)
- Grades earned through the IWA Online Academy will not be used in calculating the top ten ranking in the High School Level
- Only students attending on-campus in 10th, 11th, and 12th grades are eligible for the rank of Valedictorian and Salutatorian
- Learn more about why IWA does not release full class rankings
When completing your Enrollment Packet, you will find a three part question regarding your interest in the Online Academy.
- If you are not interested in the Online Academy, please select: "My student will attend Incarnate Word Academy on-campus"
- If you wish to enroll in the Online Academy, please select: "My student will attend the IWA Online Academy"
- If you are uncertain, please select the following with the understanding that on-campus classes may fill prior to the deadline due to class size limitations: “ I will choose between on-campus and the IWA Online Academy by the May 1, 2021 deadline or sooner”
Dear IWA Families,
As we continue to navigate the unusual, unexpected, and endless challenges created by the pandemic, we are incredibly thankful for your continued partnership, for the remarkable tenacity and dedication of our teachers, for the flexibility and resilience of our students, and for the faithful prayers and support from our beloved Sisters. In looking to the future, we must plan for the possibility that the effects of the pandemic may still be felt, even as we hope for a return to normalcy, next school year.
While we realize that an option for distance learning is still needed, we also realize that we cannot continue to overburden our teachers with the program as it exists this year. For the 2021-2022 school year, our distance learning option will be the IWA Online Academy. We will partner with Catholic Virtual to provide teachers and curriculum aligned with IWA’s academic standards and specifically designed for online learning. A dedicated IWA teacher will serve as the facilitator for the IWA Online Academy to directly help students with their school engagement, progress, time management, study skills, and more.
IWA Online Academy students will be able to participate in extracurricular activities such as school clubs, school Masses, dances, and other special events. They will also be able to participate in school athletics (with varsity eligibility being determined by TAPPS guidelines).
The tuition rates for IWA Online Academy and on-campus learning are the same, and students will only be able to change programs at the conclusion of a semester. We realize it may be difficult to make this choice now and want to give parents as much time as possible to evaluate their choice. To enable the school to adequately prepare for next year, we are asking parents to indicate their choice for the IWA Online Academy by May 1, 2021. If your child’s on-campus classroom begins to reach capacity before then, the principal may request an earlier commitment.
We have prepared an information fact sheet that is included in the enrollment process and can also be found on our website by clicking this link. If you have more specific questions after reviewing the fact sheet, please reach out to your school level principal.
Thank you, stay safe, and may God bless our precious Angels today and always.
Sammie H Grunwald