Elementary Traditional Teacher Aide (Part Time)
Under the direction of the principal, the Elementary Teacher Aide assists the respective teacher with the care of the students. She/he is responsible to and supportive of the administration and the teacher. It is essential that the teacher have the appreciation, respect, and confidentially of her/his aide, the one working closest to her/him. Because consistency is so important for students, she/he must be present and on time each day.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrives one half hour before school begins.
- Remains in school one half hour after school is dismissed.
- Monitors arrival and dismissal times.
- Is allowed a 15 minute break in the morning at 9:45 a. m. and a 30 minute lunch break at 11:00 a.m.
- Respects each student while encouraging independence.
- Assists the teacher in preparing instructional material.
- Speaks in a quiet, well-modulated voice in the classroom, which encourages a calm environment.
- Substitutes for the teacher when the teacher is absent.
- Walks the children to the Extended Day Care room at the end of the school day.
- Assists the teacher with the children when needed for after school and night activities.
- Supervises individual students and small groups, under the direction of the teacher, as learning activities
- are implemented.
- Assists in preparing instructional materials and bulletin boards.
- Makes copies of material for class work.
- Supervises students during recess, lunch and art period.
- Performs clerical work as needed (attendance record, lunch count, filing, etc.).
- Leads students out of the classroom in an orderly manner at lunch, P.E. and after school.
- Keeps the classroom clean and orderly and dusted.
- Dust mops the classroom Monday to Thursday after school.
- Cleans top of desks with 1 % clorox and 9% water each day after school.
- Performs other duties as directed by the teacher and the principal.
- Remains in school until 2:30 p.m. and follows assignment of teacher when students have early dismissal.
- Decorates main bulletin board when that grade has an art project.
- Decorates the bulletin board at H.E.B. at assigned time.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Minimum one year working with small children.
Knowledge: Basic knowledge of child care and ability to relate to young children and to manage the class in the teacher's absence.
Working Conditions: Indoors and outdoors, caring for young children following a varied schedule and responding to unforeseen needs.
If you are interested, please email your application and resume to Pamela Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Incarnate Word Academy job application here.