Montessori Teacher Aide (Part Time)
Under the direction of the principal, the Montessori Aide assists the respective teacher with the care of the children. She/He is responsible to and supportive of the administration and the teacher. It is essential that the teacher have the appreciation, respect, and confidentiality of her/his aide, the one working closest to her/him. Because consistency is so important for young children, she/he must be present and on time every day. Her/His responsibilities are as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrives one-half hour before school begins.
- Remains in school one half hour after school is dismissed.
- Monitors arrival and dismissal procedures.
- Respects each child while encouraging independence.
- Assists the teacher in preparing instructional materials.
- Assists the teacher in the classroom, especially with the younger children.
- Monitors the classroom while the teacher is giving a lesson and redirects children who are
- distracting others or when child is demonstrating aimlessness.
- Substitutes for the teacher when the teacher is absent.
- Speaks in a quiet, well modulated voice in the classroom which encourages a calm, orderly
- Supervises the children at play periods and at lunch time.
- Walks the children to the Extended Day Care room at the end of the school day.
- Walks the children to and from the art room, cafeteria and other areas in an orderly manner.
- Performs clerical work as needed (attendance record, lunch count, filing, running off copies,
- laminating, etc.).
- Assists the teacher with the children when needed for after school and night activities.
- Cleans the classroom daily after school.
- Keeps the classroom neat, clean, and dusted.
- Remains in school until 2:30 p.m. and follows assignments of teacher when children have early
- Is allowed a 15 minute break in the morning and a 30 minute lunch break.
- Dust mops the classroom Monday to Thursday after school.(EL)
- Cleans top of desks with 1 % clorox and 9% water each day after school.
- Decorates the main bulletin when that grade has an art project (EL)
- Decorates the bulletin board at H.E.B. at assigned time. (EL)
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Minimum one year working with small children.
Knowledge: Basic knowledge of child care and ability to relate to young children and to manage the class in the teacher's absence.
Working Conditions: Indoors and outdoors, caring for young children following a varied schedule and responding to unforeseen needs.
If you are interested, please email your application and resume to Pamela Carrillo at email@example.com
Download the Incarnate Word Academy job application here.